Friday, October 10, 2008

Compromises.....



How important is this word in our life? Some might say ' i never compromise' ... some might say 'life is full of compromises'....but do we really know the moment we actually compromise. Or has it become so much 'a part and parcel' of our daily life that we choose to 'compromise' the word compromise.....

It was another regular Thursday at work, until it came to a point where it was not going to end as normal. Out of nowhere it was decided to end the day with some drinks at a friends place.

Do colleagues equate to friends? My answer to that will be a BIG NO. (Any rule has an exception..you know what i mean). By now you must have guessed it. Yes i was not keen to go to the hen's den that evening for a drink. Make no mistake it wasn't a case of 'can I buy you a drink' kinda evening. It was a get together.

So why wasn't I feeling right' to join them.

Its time to be honest, initially i did agree to join them....i did go to the place only to realize, i was at the wrong place. I ended up at my friend's place....to be told to meet at my colleague's. That is when i changed my mind, my agreement to join them for a drink was in disagreement with the choice of place.

I tracked back my way to work...yes i drove back to work and started working again. I wish Mobile phones did not exist in the real world. Yes, i had the choice of switching off the phone. But when was the last time i did that? Not in this life......so yes i had to answer that call from my friend.

The questions were 'what are you doing? where are you? why aren't you here? ....I said 'I am at work'. Is that the reason why I drove back to work? Think about it I had already wrapped up for the day. So why did i go back to work? Did i really have something at work to deal with? or Was it to give an excuse for not being at this 'place of meeting'? or Did I force myself to compromise?

Would it have been easier to admit i was not comfortable to be at Hen's place?

How comfortable are we to admit we are uncomfortable?
I guess many a times we are not.
I said I was at work, had to return for some last minute meeting updates. Did i lie to him? or did I compromise. Guess i did compromise.

I compromised my will n wish to go home, I compromised the thought of having an early day, compromised the choice of admitting i was not comfortable.

When was the last time you asked someone to turn the volume down? (mobiles or music at work)

When was the last time you told someone to speak softly? (some beings can't manage their decibels while speaking on the mobile)

When was the last time you refused to go for a movie(you didn't like) which your 'dear' insisted?

When was the last time you asked someone to turn off their phones at the cinemas, theater or churches?

You did not say it; was it because you did not want to say it? or you said let be it.....i can't be bothered. Don't you think it was your place to tell them they were bothering you? or did you agree to compromise???

Think again...Is it significant in our life? I know it is.....how about you?

C u soon.... happy weekend

1 comment:

Anita said...

Another good one...
Compromise we do quite often and sometimes on a daily basis...you just want to keep the false sense of "peace" so-to-speak. Family is an exception here. We need to compromise with them cause there is unconditional love involved. I am talking about Friends/colleagues.

These days when I refuse to compromise on stuff...I am branded as "fussy"..and "rigid"...now, what do I say about such false conclusions?...its just that you/I are older and "been there done that types" that you dont want to compromise anymore...nor experiment. we already know what we like and dislike!

Stick to your guns and lower them only with the near and the dear ones.

Chao T!